Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Free SWAP Report


{Volunteers}

We really couldn't have asked for a better day for the Free S:W.A.P. Clear skies, warm day with a bit of a breeze. Veteran volunteers alongside new volunteers (welcome Brianna, Paula, and friends!) worked hard to get ready for the doors to open.

Welcome, community. Let's share!



{See that TV? Before the end we had received--and, phew, passed on--6 TVs! SIX, people!
photo courtesy of Kerry F.}


{Celebrity look-alikes among our devoted volunteers: 
Santa Claus/Roy S.
photo courtesy of Kerry F.}



{More celebrity look-alikes (it's a little hard to tell in the photo, but multiple sources agree!): Wonder Woman/Lisa H. and Gwen Stefani/Julie S accompanied by one of our younger volunteers, C
photo courtesy of Julie S.}

We were happy to hear reports from guests.  "At the last SWAP I got a rocking chair and I reupholstered it and it looks great."  Or "My youngest was finishing high school when we learned we were expecting again, so we have needed to get all the baby stuff again." Or "I volunteer with an organization that builds homes for needy families living on the Navajo reservation; I found some light switches and door knobs that I can use for that." 


{more volunteers: I see Connie C., Stacey H., Emily W., and Christina C. have joined the party}

It was at the last free swap in my neighborhood (2011), before I expanded the scale, that I first invited city officials to come check out what I was trying to accomplish with this idea. City council member Margaret Black accepted my invitation and stopped by that day 3 years ago. And here she is, again. Thank you, Councilmember Black, for your support. 


The last swap, on a chilly, chilly day in the fall of last year, saw around 300 guests.  Fall of 2012 had just under 600 guests. We were hoping that with more marketing avenues this year (radio and TV), we could get more than 600 people. Maybe--I was (overly-?) optimistic--we could get 800 people to come to this swap. Had my fingers crossed. We passed 600 just before 11:00. Either way, with one hour, officially, to go, we were set to break our previous record.

It was during this lull that we got a visit from an old college buddy of mine. I'm thinking there might be a fair number of you who know this guy! Brett Roberts of Kid Snippets/Kid History fame, folks. (He and his cast/crew were invited by Lucas Films to film some Kid Snippet episodes on the Star Wars cantina set! How cool is that?! He has even filmed episodes with none other than Josh Groban. Smidge jealous.) Here we are with his beautiful children and some delighted fans.


{that "MEN" sign placement just makes me laugh}

As interesting as attendance numbers are to me, it's the people behind those numbers that make it worth it. It's the hard-working volunteers who come back year after year.  It's the stories of the people that are the heart of it all. Friends and strangers alike giving graciously and receiving graciously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: each Free S:W.A.P. benefits hundreds in our community. If every city across the country organized just one Free S:W.A.P. each year, the benefits would increase exponentially, turning those hundreds into millions.

I extend an open invitation to team up with me on this. Organize a Free S:W.A.P. (Sharing: We All Prosper) in your community. Let's work together. Share ideas. Share inspiration. Share the stories that give meaning to this journey of ours.

Here's volunteer Emily with our final count:


Additional thank yous, if I forgot someone, please, please tell me! Kerry F. (SWAP co-organizer) and her husband Jason F. (Kerry, I almost didn't include you here; it feels like we've been such a team that to thank you would be like thanking myself! But, truly, having a like-minded cohort on this project has made it so much more fun.), Tiffany D., Jill B., Amy G., Emma, Hannah, Natalie, Madison, Kelly B., Abby R., Jeff B., Emily from Orem Community Church, Kimberly from Feed the World, Kami C. (for watching my girls!!), David B. (for making the video) my son, and, of course, my husband, the surprise-volunteer-snacks-provider, for putting up with my crazy twice a year. Well, my "Free SWAP" crazy, that is. He puts up with my regular crazy all year long. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment